Chase Hospitality Group operates a portfolio of restaurants across Canada and the U.S., including Planta Restaurants, The Chase, The Chase Fish & Oyster, Kasa Moto, Arthur’s Restaurant and Palm Lane. Chase Hospitality Group’s mission is to MAKE AN IMPACT. We achieve this through our dynamic team composed of champions across all realms of the hospitality industry - from creative and marketing to culinary, beverage and beyond creating the ultimate guest experience.
Planta is an innovative North American brand celebrating plant-based dining in both full service and fast casual settings with outlets in Toronto and Miami. Planta exists to bring guests thoughtful, sustainable and uncompromising restaurant experiences without the reliance on animal products.
JR. SOUS CHEF
Reporting to the Executive Chef, the Jr. Sous Chef operates as the assistant to the Sous Chef. The Junior Sous Chef is responsible for the majority of duties and responsibilities of the Sous Chef, such as inventory, kitchen staff management, and food preparation.The successful individual is passionate about the culinary industry and creating memorable dishes for our guests, and has experience managing and inspiring a team.
WHAT's ON YOUR PLATE:
- Champions the brand’s vision and values and contribute to a culture of positivity and high standards where all employees CHASE perfection in everything they do
- Create an environment that is warm, welcoming and filled with positivity for guests and employees
- Uphold our standards at all times and treat everyone with courtesy and respect
- Conducts walk-through of restaurant upon arrival to assess cleanliness and determine restaurant readiness; assesses stock and production status; determines production needs; visits each station to assess quality of previous night’s close and quality of remaining product, and communicates this with other Team Members and managers/chefs.
- Conducts walk-throughs during each shift in order to monitor each station’s product quality, the status of production, and ingredient supply (including walk-in refrigerator).
- Ensures stations are appropriately staffed and stocked before the restaurant opens and throughout shifts.
- Conducts uniform and line check at the start of and throughout each shift.
- Executes staff schedules; ensures that all stations are appropriately staffed for the shift; ensures a smooth shift change following established procedures; assesses stations that need additional support and jumps in; phases out extra scheduled staff as volume permits; runs labour reports and enters staff schedule changes, adjusts clock in/out errors of Team Members when necessary.
- Communicates with Team Members and other managers/chefs to plan and set expectations for the shift.
- Communicates with Chefs and Managers to ensure required prep work is completed for each shift.
- Ensures proper safety and sanitation procedures are upheld by all Team Members; ensures safe and sanitary workstations and walk-in.
- Reads and writes notes in Manager’s Log, on waste sheets, etc.
- Reviews all daily and weekly reports (e.g., actual vs. projected report, production sheets, inventory/invoices, daily detailed labor report), and communicates restaurant’s results.
- Achieves continual growth in operational standards as demonstrated by improved efficiency and quality of food and kitchen operations.
- Ensures benchmarks are achieved for Team Member development and retention.
- Teaches culinary skills and proper technique, trains and supervises team members on all restaurant procedures; teaches and coaches while correcting Team Members; helps create and maintain written goals and benchmarks for self and Team Member development, analyzes the performance of Team Members while on the job.
- Helps achieve profit objectives by measuring and managing food, waste and labor costs and controllable expenses; analyzes production sheets; minimizes waste and labor costs; monitors receivable pricing and makes price changes when necessary; checks specs on deliveries; understands and achieves financial goals. Checks portioning, garnishing, temperature, taste, and appearance of food to ensure quality and recipe adherence.
- Operates and maintains the working order of all equipment in the kitchen; troubleshoots equipment, and organizes repairs and maintenance.
- Is responsible for kitchen inventory and purchasing; ensures that there is enough product on hand to complete daily production; orders new stock; purchases special order supplies if necessary; ensures proper rotation and labeling of ingredients and products.
- Understands and interprets P&Ls and other financial statements.
- Interacts with FOH Team Members and Guests by greeting them, providing service, answering questions, solving problems, and handling complaints.
- Manages freezer and walk-in, assesses first use needs in walk-in to ensure reduced product waste; ensures all freezer pulls are performed pro-actively.
- Protects the integrity of all recipes and procedures.
- Follows established procedures to obtain results and ensures proper opening and closing procedures and proper station set-up compliance.
- Adjusts PAR levels as appropriate; ensures accuracy of production sheets; anticipates and communicates production changes to Team Members immediately.
- Reviews invoices to ensure accuracy, correcting errors if necessary.
- Demonstrates exceptional energy and stamina; upholds the highest quality standards for food, service and financial management; requires that kitchen operations meet his/her personal “stamp of approval” at all times. Develops a team to execute shift duties independently of his/her own involvement.
- Upholds the values and principles in our vision, is positive and constant in the development of themselves and those around them.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL BRING TO THE TABLE:
- 5+ years kitchen experience in a fast paced kitchen, 1 year management/supervisor experience preferred.
- Fully understand and embody Chase Hospitality Group’s can-do attitude, demonstrating a level of passion and dedication where no task is beneath you.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment
- A proactive team player that embodies our spirit of entrepreneurship and mutual respect
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Results-oriented and impeccably organized
- Have extensive knowledge on cooking temperatures and general food safety regulations
- Culinary degree/diploma and/or the equivalent in education and experience is an asset
- Full time flexible hours are required (days, nights, weekends, holidays)
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Opportunities to grow and develop your career with our ever growing company
- Mentorship and guidance by top hospitality professionals in the city
- Discounts to gyms and wellness programs in the city
- 50% Discounts at all full service CHG wide concepts
Chase Hospitality Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code And the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, as well as the Americas with Disabilities Act, during the application process are available upon request.